Mississippi Golf: April News & Notes
Spring and Summer Savings Abound, PGA TOUR Event Teed Up, and National Acclaim Garnered for Magnolia State Courses
Mississippi State Park golf courses are offering substantial savings this spring and summer with on-site lodging available for guests to enjoy a variety of outdoor activities.
* Mallard Pointe Golf Course: Standard rates at Mallard Pointe in the Hills Region are $38 for 18 holes and a cart Monday-Thursday and $45 Friday-Sunday. In addition, seniors (55 and older), students, police, fire and military play Monday- Thursday for $32 (including cart) and $38 Friday-Sunday. A twilight rate of $30 is available Monday-Thursday after 2 p.m. and $35 Friday-Sunday. There is also a $20 walking rate seven days of the week. On-site lodging is available. For tee times visit www.mallardpointegolfcourse.com or call 662.487.2400.
* The Dogwoods Golf Course: The Dogwoods at Hugh White State Park in the Hills Region offers 18-hole green fees of just $49. Students play for $27 while seniors (60 and older) pay $39 (all prices include cart fees). Designed by Gary Roger Baird, meandering through forest and surrounded by Grenada Lake, The Dogwoods features a hilly layout and inviting greens. For tee times visit www.thedogwoodsgolf.com or call 662.226.4123.
* Quail Hollow Golf Course: Located in the Capital/River Region, Quail Hollow at Percy Quin State Park has greens fees of $40 for 18 holes and a cart and seniors (55 and older) pay $30. Also, use the promotional code "web" and students play for $26, including a cart with valid ID. Designed by Arthur Hills, Quail Hollow is known for its views of the Southern Mississippi countryside and offers affordable Quail Hollow golf villas situated steps from the course and furnished with modern amenities. For tee times visit www.quailhollowgc.com or call 601.684.2903.
"Our state parks offer tremendous value for golf and a plethora of other outdoor activities," said Mississippi Tourism Director Malcolm White. "It's a great time to travel to Mississippi and discover why it has become one of preeminent golf destinations in the country."
For more information on these courses and other special stay-and-play package deals visit www.visitmississippi.org/golf.aspx or call toll-free 1.866.801.8551.
New Title Sponsor for Mississippi PGA TOUR Event
Sanderson Farms of Laurel, Miss., one of the nation's leading food corporations, is now the title sponsor of the PGA TOUR's stop at Annandale Golf Club in Madison. Formerly the True South Classic and the Viking Classic, the event has been renamed the Sanderson Farms Championship.
The tournament, scheduled for July 15-21, is one of 45 PGA TOUR tournaments and is in its third year as part of the FedEx Cup. Mississippi has hosted a PGA TOUR event annually for more than four decades and has raised $7.3 million for statewide charities. Past winners include defending champion Scott Stallings, along with Chris Kirk, Bill Haas and Luke Donald.
For ticket, volunteer and sponsorship information, visit www.sandersonfarmschampionship.com/.
Mississippi Courses Earn 'Best-Of' Honors from Golfweek
The Magnolia State's golf courses continue to garner national accolades, the latest coming in Golfweek, which lists the following courses on its 2013 "Best Courses You Can Play" state rankings:
1. Fallen Oak in Saucier
2. The Preserve Golf Club in Vancleave
3. Grand Bear Golf Course in Saucier
4. Dancing Rabbit (Azaleas) in Philadelphia
5. Dancing Rabbit (Oaks) in Philadelphia
6. Shell Landing in Gautier
7. The Bridges Golf Club at Hollywood Casino in Bay St. Louis
8. Timberton Golf Club in Hattiesburg
9. The Oaks in Pass Christian
10. Windance Country Club in Gulfport
For more information on all of the more than 170 courses in the state of Mississippi, visit www.visitmississippi.org/golf or call toll-free 1.866.801.8551.
Posted April 23, 2013 || Viewed 1,553 times